Adjustable wrench is also one of the most commonly used tools in our daily life! So let's get to know it better!
Adjustable wrench is referred to as adjustable wrench. Its opening width can be adjusted within a certain range. It is a tool used to tighten and loosen nuts and bolts of different specifications. Adjustable wrench is a common tool for maintenance workers. Because its opening can be adjusted within a certain range, it is very convenient to use. It can be used not only for standard metric bolts and inch bolts, but also for some self-made non-standard bolts.
The inventor of the adjustable wrench is the Swedish Johansson (Johan Petter Johansson, 1853-1943), who invented the adjustable wrench in 1892.
The adjustable wrench is composed of a head and a handle, and the head is composed of a movable plate lip, a rigid lip, a plate mouth, a turbine and a shaft pin. Rotating the turbine can adjust the size of the orifice. Specifications are expressed as length × relatively large opening width (unit: mm). Electricians commonly use four sizes: 150mm×19mm(6’), 200mm×24mm(8’), 250mm×30mm(10’) and 300mm×36mm(12’).
(1) When turning the large nut, a large torque is often used, and the hand should be held near the end of the handle.
(2) When turning the small nut, the torque used is not large, but the nut is too small and easy to slip, so the hand should be held close to the head of the board. This allows the turbine to be adjusted at any time and tightens the flapper lips to prevent slippage.
(3) The adjustable wrench cannot be reversed to avoid damage to the plate lip, nor can the steel pipe be used to extend the handle to increase the torque.
In the process of use, be sure to use it correctly, let's take a look at what matters should be paid attention to in the process of use:
1. No matter what kind of wrench. The better use effect is to pull, if you must push. It can only be pushed with the palm of your hand, and your fingers should be stretched out to prevent the bolt or nut from suddenly loosening and bruising your fingers. To get more torque. The direction of the pulling force must be at right angles to the handle of the wrench.
2. When using an adjustable wrench. The specification should be selected according to the size of the nut. When using, hold the handle with your right hand. The further back the hand is, the more effortless it is to move. When turning the large nut, a large torque is required, and the hand should be held near the end of the handle. When turning the small nut. The torque required is not large, but the nut is too small and easy to slip. Therefore, the hand should be held close to the head. And the worm gear can be adjusted at any time to tighten the active lip to prevent slippage.
3. When using an adjustable wrench. The movable jaws of the wrench should bear the thrust while the fixed jaws should bear the pulling force, that is, when the wrench is pulled. The movable jaw faces inward: the force must be even, so as not to damage the wrench or the corners of the bolt and nut. Accident caused by slippage.
4. Excessive force should be avoided when using the wrench. otherwise. It may cause slippage and bruise the human body.
5. The wrench should not be used as a pry bar or hand hammer.
6. When wrenching a rusted nut. Put a few drops of kerosene or oil on the nut. After a period of time. Just twist it. When it cannot be screwed, do not use a steel pipe to cover the handle of the adjustable wrench to increase the torque. Because it is very easy to damage the active lip or the nut, the nut cannot be removed.
7. When a wrench is required for climbing operations. It must be passed on a rope, not thrown up and down.